Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day

I wish I could say that Valentine's Day was all I had hoped and imagined it would be.  With  my bsuy schedule, rarely do I take the time to do something really thoughtful for Valentine's Day.  I do acknoledge the holiday and give a gift and some kisses and snuggles, but it's never anything special.  This year, I was ispired to do something more thoughtful.

Wednesday night, I spent two hours making a ransom note that I took over to our babysitter.  Kris knew nothing of my plans and expected Valentine's night to be like any normal night.  at 6:40 on Valentine's evening, the babysitter was to show up at the house with the note I had so cleverly made.  It read: "Kris, Do what I say and no one gets hurt!  Meet a sercret admirer at Chili's at 7:00.  You had better hurry."  He would then (hopefully) figure out that the sitter was there to watch the kids so he could meet his wife for dinner.  I had called Chili's in advance to have a table ready at 7:00 or close to it, and they were expecting us.  I let work early and spent half the day cleaning the house so I wouldn't be utterly humiliated when the sitter showed up. 

During my short time at home, Kris gave me his Valentine gift, which was my favorite Cadbury eggs, some scented candles and lotion.  He wanted to give me a foot rub that night, and I loved the gift becuase he put thought into it, rather than just picking something up from the store.  I felt his foot rub would be the perfect end to the evening.  Then I went to work excited and full of anticipation for that evenings festivities.

Around 5:00, I got a text from Kris telling me that he wasn't feeling well and was started to feel nausiated.  I got really nervous and discouraged.  I responded by telling him to le on the couch and there was some Sprite in the pantry.  Time passed and I never heard back from him.  So I text again confessing that I had planned something and asked if he could pull it together for a couple of hours.  Again, I never heard from him.  More time passed and I text again, asking how he was feeling.  Again, nothing.  Starting at about 6:15, I started calling the house non-stop.  I would call, wait until I got the voicemail, hang up, then dial again.  I did this continually for 30 minutes, with a short break to call the sitter to tell her to wait for a few.  Just before I reached the house, Kris answered the phone.  He decided to go take a nap in the bedroom.  When I got home, he couldn't tell me if he felt well enough to go out, but by then, the surprise was ruined and I cancelled everything.  I took the kids to Cafe Rio and had an evening with my children, depressed, discouraged, and moving toward anger.

The last time I tried to really do a nice gesture was when I planned the weekend get-away.  While we were succeful in getting there, everything imaginable went wrong trying to get out.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm not supposed to do nice things for my husband.  They don't seem to turn out.

I can't get it to go the right way, it won't let me. Sorry
The last time I tried to really do a nice gesture was when I planned the weekend get-away.  While we were succeful in getting there, everything imaginable went wrong trying to get out.  I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm not supposed to do nice things for my husband.  They don't seem to turn out.

No comments: