Thursday, April 25, 2013

Making Arrangements

I took the first week off that Kris started his new job with the Church.  This is the first time since my children have been born, that I was able to take care of them and be "the mom" without Kris there.  I loved every minute of it.  I got to take them to school, pick them up, put Kodi on the bus, make them lunches, and just enjoy the time we had together.

In one week, I was able to find arrangements for my children for the next 7 weeks.  Kris's parents graciously volunteered to take Kyson.  That meant that they were to take him and pick him up from school every day.  They would also take him to speech therapy on Thursdays.  Fortunately, his therapy is off track and won't resume for a few weeks.  That gives them some time to get situated. 

A woman in our neighborhood runs a daycare and had an opening.  That would take care of Kodi, but she doesn't take kids to school.  My sister was willing to step-up and help me out by taking Kodi to and from school for the next 7 weeks on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Kodi's other school has a pick up so I didn't need to worry about transportation.  I believe my situation right now is a prime example of "it takes a village to raise a child."  I could not do this without all the support of friends and family.

During this week, I spoke with three schools, three different teachers to inform them that Kris would no longer be taking them or picking them up from school.  I changed her pick-up address with her bus drivers, and informed her tumbling teacher that she would no longer be coming.  In between taking care of all the arrangements, I tried to spend quality time with them.

I did have one scare this week, however.  Kyson said he was going to play with his friend across the street and I watched him go there.  Well, a short time later, I heard screaming from outside and it sounded like it was Kyson and it was from my neighbor's house, not Kyson's friends house across the street.  Kyson's friend couldn't play, so he decided to go next door and look for bugs.  He wanted to walk across the "drawbridge" which was a board placed over a window well, and it broke when he walked across.  He fell in the window well when both me and the neighbor heard him.  He escaped without even a scratch.

On the bright side, one day we went to the park.  It was a beautiful day and the kids wanted to drive their jeep over to the playground.  It was so much fun!  This week has meant so much to me.  In the little time I have at home, I'm so caught up in getting the shopping done, paying the bills, and cleaning the house, that I don't have a lot of quality time with my children.  This week has shown me how grateful I am for the upcoming changes.  Not just because I'll be able to work less hours, but because I'll be able to have more time with my husband and children.   That is something for which I'll be forever grateful.  My children are young and I only have so much time.  I plan to use the time I have been given, wisely.





No comments: