Sunday, April 14, 2013

Diving Accident

Right now there are many things in the works with my job and a potential job I'm interviewing for.  In order to help me with my interview process, I decided to go up to Plain City to meet my Cousin, Alicia.  That left Kris with the kids alone for the entire afternoon.  While this is nothing different, considering he watches them all day on weekdays, the kids are not quiet, mellow children.

While talking with Alicia, I received a phone call from Kris.  He said, "I think I need to take Kodi to the hospital."  I have no idea what has happened or if it is serious.  He couldn't even tell me what happened because he was folding laundry when the accident happened.  He said she had a cut near her eye.  That to me didn't sound very serious.  So, I asked him to either email me a picture or send it in a text.  He did.

It looked pretty nasty, so I told him to take her to the InstaCare to be safe.  I want as few scars on my little girl, especially on the face.  He called me later saying he took her to the hospital.  He never knew that the InstaCare and the Emergency room were two different places.  I was annoyed by that at first, but let it go.  She received care and that's all that mattered.  In the ER, they did the skin glue because it was the least invasive, especially for a three-year-old.  They put a Band-Aid on her, told her to take it easy, and sent her home.  I came home a few hours later and started asking Kyson for information.

Apparently, Kyson thought it would be a good idea to gather up all the couch cushions, blankets, and pillows downstairs and put them in a giant pile.  They then decided to dive off the couch into this pile of fluffy stuff.  Well, Kodi missed the fluffy stuff and landed on the metal windowsill, which caused the skin near her eye to split open.  We're so lucky she didn't have a much bigger injury.

Well, all that night, every time I turned around, she had taken off her Band-Aid.  She wouldn't leave it on!  Even when I put her to bed, I had to replace the Band-Aid three times.  Then she woke me up Sunday morning and I noticed the Band-Aid was gone again.  So, again, I put a Band-Aid on.  A little later that morning, I noticed that blood was seeping through the Band-Aid.  She had dug out the glue in the wound and it was wide open once again.  I called the hospital and they said to bring her back.

I brought her back and they looked at it.  This time it was stitches.  She was so pleasant until they started sticking the needle in her head to try and numb it.  Then she went crazy.  They put her arms in a pillowcase behind her back, wrapped her up like a burrito in another blanket, had two nurses and me holding her down, and she was still moving like crazy.  One thing is for sure, she's a fighter.  She bled like mad as well, but at least she was all fixed up and she couldn't dig it out.

Later that week, she got a black eye and it looked like she had blue eye shadow on.  I just hope there isn't a huge scar.  I need to make sure I put sunblock on it for the next six months.  All in all, accidents happen.  I'm just grateful that it was so minor compared to what it could have been.

No comments: