Friday, April 19, 2013

Big Changes

I've been married for nearly twelve years and during that time, I've either worked while going to school full-time, or worked two jobs.  I've adjusted to working 12 hours a day, but I've longed for the day when I could live a semi-normal life and be home with my children in the evening.  I've known for years that that dream would not happen until Kodi is in first grade, in order to free Kris up during the day.  I've accepted that fact, and that is one reason, among many, why I will not have any more children.  Life is about to change for us.

In November, I found out I was going to be laid off.  I found a work-around and found a good job with the same company until the end of the school year, but knew that I'd need to find something different for the fall.  I've been applying to many schools, but Providence Hall has been my first choice.  I applied to 10 schools in Alpine School District, and as a back-up, I applied to Challenger.  I received rejection notices for every single Alpine District school without even a phone call for an interview.  I did get an interview for Providence Hall, but got discouraged when they said they wouldn't make a decision for another month.  That meant I had to continue with the grueling interview process with Challenger because I couldn't afford to close any doors.

After taking a survey, a 50 question test in 10 minutes, a 30 page test, an interrogation, and a sample lesson, I was offered a job with Challenger.  While this wasn't the school I wanted, they told me about the benefits for teachers and I was sold.  For teachers, the first child is free and the second is half price.  They provide all day Kindergarten and preschool, and also give before and after care for the teachers for free.  That meant, Kris would be able to look for a job during the day and possibly provide the supplemental income that my second job provides.

The day I accepted, I looked on the Church's website to see if there were any warehouse openings available and there was one - from 10-3:30, which would be around the same time I'd finish with Challenger, and be late enough that Kris could keep UPS.  If he could get this job, it would be the last piece to the puzzle.

He was called for an interview a few days after he applied, and he prepared for it.  At the time of his interview, he arrived at his destination 15 minutes early, informed the desk that he was there for an interview, and he waited patiently.  45 minutes later, they told him that he was in the wrong place.  They didn't give him an exact location, and he was so frazzled he wasn't thinking straight to ask.  He called me frantic, unable to process the information.  I left work to find him, called the contact for the interviewer and informed them of the situation.  I also asked for an exact address.  He arrived at the interview, but was nearly 2 hours late by the time he got there.  I figured that was end of that job.

The next day, Kris called to ask the names of the interviewers so he could send them thank-you cards.  When he called, they said a thank-you card wouldn't e necessary because he got the job.  They want him to start the following week.  I've decided to take the week off to get things situated and now I'm on a frantic search to get my kids to three different schools, speech therapy, and watch them during the other time for the next 7 weeks.  The Lord obviously put this entire plan together for us.  I'll just have to rely on him to do a couple more miracles to get us through the next seven weeks.

In January when Kris was trying to get a job that would allow me to stay home, I wanted this so badly, but feared the income wouldn't be enough and I would need to keep my evening job.  I recruited prayers from family and friends, and a friend of mine said, "We're all entitled to a little miracle every once in a while."  I was resentful when Kris didn't get that job and I didn't understand why the Lord didn't want me to be a mother while I had the chance.  Looking back, I see that this situation is better than January.  My children will be in a great school, I will be home in the evening with my family, and the time we have together will be quality instead of getting from one thing to the next.  I got my miracle in a way that was much better than what I had planned out.  This has really shown me that the Lord is mindful of us, and knows what is best for us, even when we think we know what is best. And the crazy part is, all of this came about because I got laid off from my job - which I felt was the worst thing in the world.

No comments: