Thursday, July 1, 2010

No Baby! No Kick! Couch!

I'm beginning to learn that when implementing a consequence for one child, it must be done for the other, even when they don't know any better. Let me explain. Kyson has 4 rules:
1) No hitting or kicking
2) No spitting
3) No throwing
4) Be nice to the dogs
If Kyson breaks one of the four rules, he immediately goes to time out on the couch in the living room. Occasionally he calls us out on breaking the rules which is funny, but shows us that he knows what the rules are. I'll throw something in the garbage and Kyson will say, "No Mamma, no throw." I have to then apologize to him and tell him, "Yes, you're right, we don't throw."

The other night, Kodi was lying on the floor and acting like a typical baby. She was flailing her arms and legs and accidentally kicked Kyson very lightly, but kicked him nonetheless. Kyson quickly brought to my attention: "No Baby! No kick! Couch!" I can't try and rationalize to a 3-year-old that babies don't know any better, so I said, "You're right Kyson, Kodi broke one of the rules. She needs to go to time-out." I proceeded to put her in time-out, but I thought it was so funny that I had to take a picture. Never in a million years would I have guessed I'd be putting a baby in time-out. She was such a good sport.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cute!

Deb-t said...

Oh my goodness, that is really funny! Kyson doesn't miss a beat, does he?!