Monday, July 12, 2010

Potty Training Boot Camp

Kyson is now 3 years and 2 months and we really wanted to start potty training, but are inexperienced parents, and worry about doing it while he's in school. His last day of preschool was July 1, and he doesn't go back until August 9, so I felt like this is the time for us to jump on it. I've been pretty hestant to do the potty training for a couple of reasons: he doesn't understand his body yet, it's a lot of work' and he screams like we're beating him if we even put a pull-up on him. We decided to start the project this last weekend because I was already taking Friday off for Bear Lake. My mom was also going to be with us which gave us an experienced mother, and help taking care of the baby.

About a week before starting our great endeavor, I started putting big-boy pants over his diaper. The first time I did that, it
was quite the struggle, but by the end of the week, he didn't mind. Stage one was a success.

Stage two has been much more challenging. On Friday morning
we took away his diapers and we've been taking him to the bathroom every 20 minutes. The first day (Friday), we went through all of his shorts and underwear with accidents, and had one success the whole day. Day two (Saturday) was pretty much a repeat, but he would start to admit that he peed after he'd done it - progress.

Sunday things started to improve. We had less accidents, and that eveninging he went in the potty three times to earn a reward. Today he's gone 5 times. It's getting better and better and I'm hoping by the end of the week, he'll start telling us when he needs to go so we don't have to take him every 20 minutes.

Please pray that we'll have this all done by August 9 when he goes back to Preschool. That is my hope and prayer. Please help me out any way you can.



3 comments:

Julie said...

Oh potty training can be a nightmare huh?! Hang in there, he will get it and I am sure way before Aug 9. I am sure you are doing exactly what he needs, cause you are his mom and you know what he needs better than anyone!!
Good luck and yay Kyson for progress!!!

Deb-t said...

Potty training is quite the undertaking but you seem to be such a good mommy all the time, I'm sure you will get it right! Don't be discouraged with it if it seems to digress because sometimes for every one step forward, it's two steps back. It usually requires a lot of patience. Hang in there!

Gretchen said...

Way to go!!!! Keep it up. I think if you bought him a little potty chair that he could get on and off that would help. They even have them that play music when they go! I am praying for Kyson's success. Love you!!!