Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Miriam Carol White Hall-Hansen

Just before Thanksgiving, Kris's step-mother and one of my mothers-in-law passed away. We weren't very close to her, and I have to say looking back, I regret that. The first time we met, we didn't have the best experience. She is a very opinionated woman who doesn't worry about holding back her thoughts. That first night I met her was so Kris could announce to his father and her that we were engaged. It didn't go very well. She was forcefully giving me her opinions about the wedding and many other things and I felt extremely uncomfortable. Kris spoke up to
defend me because he didn't like it either, and then his father spoke up defending his wife. Before we knew it I was holding Kris back and Miriam was holding Bert back to keep the boys from getting into a fist fight. I never got over that night and I think that me holding a grudge about that interaction has prevented me from having a relationship with someone who had a lot to offer. Instead of embracing our differences, I used them to push her away.

We saw her occasionally after Kris's father passed away, but it wasn't enough, and she was never pushy about trying to see us. I think if she had, I would have resented her even more, but looking back, at least I probably would have seen her more. At her funeral I learned so many things about her. I didn't know she was from
Canada or that she was an avid crime-fighter in her com- munity. They joked about how she always knew every body's business and would always tell everyone how to do things.

I'm hoping that I can use this experience to be a better person. I let my pride get in the way of a relationship and now that she's gone, I know I blew it. I plan to use Miriam as a reminder of what not to do and that I don't want to live my life full of regrets.


Miriam Carole White Hall-Hansen
1933 ~ 2011
Miriam Carole White Hall-Hansen passed away suddenly but peacefully at her home in Salt Lake City on Nov. 19, 2011. She was the daughter of William Stanley White and Bertha Delores Roeder White and was born on July 22, 1933 in Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada. Miriam was the second oldest of seven children. She married Kenneth C. Hall (deceased) in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. They immigrated to Salt Lake City, Utah in 1965. In 1994 she married Albert "Bert" J. Hansen (deceased) and they enjoyed ten happy years together.

Miriam was an extremely gifted woman. She sewed nonstop, custom making most of her own clothing as well as her family's. She was a bundle of talent, excelling in knitting, crocheting, tole painting, scherenschnitte (paper cutting), wedding cake decorating and many other creative endeavors.

Miriam first worked as a long distance/government telephone operator on one of the very first switchboards in northern Canada. While raising her family in Salt Lake, she worked briefly for Deseret Book, but Miriam was best known as the friendly face behind the counter at Sugarhouse Awning and Canvas Products. She was their office manager for over 20 years until her retirement.

As a professional genealogist, Miriam was always out "digging roots". Specializing in Germans from Russia research, she was considered "The Expert" by her peers. She served as a missionary (volunteer) at the Genealogical Library in Salt Lake City, now known as the Family History Center, where she has the distinction of being the longest serving missionary with 28 continuous years of service to her church. Miriam could be found two to three nights a week behind the European Desk in the basement.

She leaves behind to honor her life her four children; William Hall (Joann), Kendra Hall of Tillamook, OR, Ronnie Eldridge (Richard "Butch") of Nordland, WA, Doran Hall (Sally); five step children; Ben (Kristine), Lory (Kevin), Holly (Jose), Rusty (Amy), Kristian (Kelli), nineteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren; foster children; Joy Morse (Ken) and many more too numerous to mention, plus Calypso, her red parrot.

A tribute to Miriam celebrating her life of helping others as well as honoring her accomplishments will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2011 at 11:00 AM at Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park Chapel, 3401 Highland Drive, SLC, UT. At Miriam's request there will be no viewing. Friends are welcome to visit the family one hour prior to the service. In lieu of flowers the family has requested that donations may be made to the YWCA-Salt Lake City "Women in Jeopardy Program".

No comments: