Monday, October 3, 2011

A Miserable Weekend

This year, for the first time ever, my work calendars overlap and when I get a day off at one, I get it off at both. I had a marvelous 5-day weekend and really wanted to take advantage of it. I talked with my parents about maybe going to Zions, but in the end, we decided to keep it simple and go to Bear Lake. Kris, my mom, and my dad all requested Friday off so we could enjoy the trip and really make it worth our while to go out of town. I don't know if we were jinxed from the beginning or what, but I don't understand how so many things can go wrong.

The Monday before we were to leave, Kyson got the flu. He was throwing up like crazy and just a miserable little kid. This continued on Tuesday. Wednesday it was time to "empty the basement" and he went through outfit after outfit, not being able to get to the bathroom in time. Wednesday evening Kodi started throwing up. Thursday all appeared to be well so I cleaned and sanitized the entire house (sheets, carpets, blankets, towels, curtains, bathrooms, etc) and we left for Bear Lake on Thursday evening. Friday morning, I started feeling sick and by midmorning I was throwing up. Then Kris, not wanting to be left out, joined the fun. All day

Friday Kris and I were miserable.
Dennis and Gretchen were supposed to come up
Friday evening, but Dennis had some problems with his diverticulitis and got so severe he was strongly encouraged by his physician to go to the hospital. He refused, and decided to nurse himself at home, and they planned to come up Saturday morning. We thought that would be best anyway.
Saturday morning Dennis wasn't improving and they decided to stay home. Kris continued to be sick, while I had some new ailments - a migraine with vertigo. I couldn't even walk. Saturday
was Kodi's second birthday and I had planned to have a little birthday party with pie and cupcakes. I pretty much threw a couple of presents at her and then went back to the couch. Fortunately, she's only two and doesn't know any better. She didn't care about the clothes anyway. Saturday came and went and our fun-filled vacation was coming to an end. We were to clean-up and go home on Sunday.

Sunday, we cleaned, packed, and drove home. And what wonderful vacation is complete without running out of gas. After all that had happened, my parents ran out of gas coming home. Fortunately, they had some fuel for the four-wheelers on hand and were able to get home safely.

Although the entire weekend was a wash, I'm so grateful that my parents were there to help. Kris and I were literally helpless and would never have been able to take care of two toddlers. perhaps it worked out the way it should have, but boy that's a crappy vacation.

No comments: