Saturday, May 15, 2010

Starting Preschool

Quite some time ago, Kyson began doing therapy for food and speech. After 6 months or so, we wanted the therapy to focus on enunciation rather than vocabulary building, but that isn't the way it was going. At that time we quit the therapy. About 2 months before he turned 3, we started back up with the therapy so he could be tested again for his abilities in areas. This testing would determine whether or not he would qualify for a special education preschool program with Jordan District. He qualified and I'm so grateful. This preschool is 2 days a week 2 hours each day and is taught by 3 teachers with Masters Degrees and a speech pathologist. He rides the school bus to and from school every day and they pick him up and drop him off at our house.

Kyson began his first day of school on May 11. He doesn't like new people or surround- ings and because of that, I wasn't sure how he'd react. The first day, I happened to have the week off so I drove him there and left him with his teachers. He didn't want to go. He cried as they each took a hand and took him into the school. It felt so weird driving home without my little boy.

That afternoon, Kris and I were anxiously waiting for the bus. I was so excited to see him and see how he did and hear the teachers' comments about him. It seemed like forever for the bus to arrive. Kris caught a picture of me watching out the window, looking for my little guy. When the bus pulled up to the house, I was so excited, I ran outside to get him off. I think he liked the bus.

There were no notes in his backpack to say how he did, but there was a homework assignment to decorate a star to show Kyson's personality and interests. It also had a schedule for the week which was themed "Pirates." They were reading the book called Pirates Don't Wear Diapers. His teacher emailed me shortly after he came home and told me he did really well. It seems that preschool will be a hit.

1 comment:

Deb-t said...

What fun and exciting news. It's always hard to watch your babies go to school. I'm sure in time he will just love it. I absolutely adore the picture of you watching out the window for the bus. Being a mommy is the best.