Monday, February 8, 2010

Happy Birthday Mr. Incredible

Kris was born 33 years ago, and in that time, he's accomplished a lot. He graduated high school, served an LDS mission in Micronesia, was very successful with the language, graduated from college with an associates degree, and of course - found an amazing wife to marry.

I met him 9 years ago and in that time, I've grown to love him more and more, the better I get to know him. Being a husband is not an easy task. In the time that he has been my husband we've experienced some hard times, but he has been there for me every step of the way.

Before we got married, I had a history of health issues. He knew that when he asked for my hand, and after we got married, those problems didn't go away. One night in particular I suddenly had immense pain in my guts. The pain was so intense that it paralyzed me. Kris carried me to the car and took me to the hospital. I had a ruptured complex ovarian cyst and it had caused internal bleeding in my abdomen. Throughout the entire night at the hospital, he was by my side, comforting me, and just there for me. This experience has been repeated through 3 kidney stones, ruptured ovarian cysts, severe dehydration, and two children. His comforting presence has carried me through some intense moments in my life.

Being a husband is no small task, but that respons- ibility multiplies when children are added to the equation. Kris is an amazing father. He wakes up every morning at 2:00am to go to work so he can be home in time to watch our children during the day. He's always tired, but still changes diapers (even poopy ones), cleans up throw-up, enforces rules and expectations, and shows his children that he loves their mother. That is one of the most important things a husband and father can do to teach his children.

Kris has a great relation- ship with Kyson. When Kyson was a baby, Kris was in college and in order to spend time with him, he'd read his textbooks to him. He'd make up songs and sing to him, and from an early age, the two of them became best friends. They play together, mow the lawn together, and get in trouble together. Kyson's favorite movie is The Incredibles and Kyson likes to call Kris "Mr. Incredible." I don't think it's the physique that reminds him of his daddy, but the amazing strength that he sees in Mr. Incredible. I was looking back for pictures to put on this post, and I have so many wonderfully cute pictures of Kyson with his daddy. I didn't know I had so many.

Having a little boy is a lot of fun, and I would have been satisfied having 2 boys and calling it quits, but everyone said, "Kris needs a little girl." Now that we have one, I understand. Kris has a sensitive side to him that most people can see immediately. It's wonderful, and he adores his little girl. From the moment we found out we were having a girl, he's been excited, and since she's been in our lives, his enthusiasm hasn't changed a bit. He's always telling me that she's teasing him, and she looks a lot like him - she's even getting his blue eyes.

This man has affected my life in a way that I cannot describe. He has made me into a more nurturing wife, mother, and person. He has taught me patience and been a great example to me in many aspects of my life. He has loved me unconditionally from the moment we met, not pressuring me into anything, including marriage or children. It is his loving example that has made me into the person I am now, and I'm so thankful for him in my life.

Happy Birthday Mr. Incredible!






2 comments:

Randy said...

incedible? Must mean studly.

Gretchen said...

I cried as I read this. What a wonderful couple you are. Happy Birthday Mr. Incredible. We both love you.