Monday, January 10, 2011

Allergic Reaction

Kodi has been fighting cold-like symptoms for about 2 weeks now, and I figured it was just a cold until the fever started. On Friday she had a fever of 99 degrees, so I didn't take her to be seen. By Saturday afternoon, however, she had a temperature of 101 degrees. I decided it would be best to take her in to the InstaCare to be seen. Immediately the doctor noticed how rapidly she was breathing, but her oxygen levels came back at 100%. Their thermometer said her temperature was only 99.8, but when the doctor touched her she said, "This doesn't feel like a 99 degree temperature. It feels much higher." I think their thermometer was off, or at least the reading was. In the end, he concluded that it was probably a sinus infection and put her on Amoxicillin. That night she woke up with a slight rash on her face. My sister came over and we looked a t a bunch of pictures to try and diagnose it ourselves, and it looked like a fever rash.

Within a day her fever disappeared, her temperament improved a lot, and her congestion lessened. She made huge improvements very quickly. That changed today. Kris noticed this afternoon that she had a rash on her stomach. he thought maybe it was a heat rash because her room got pretty hot this afternoon, but when I gave her a bath, I noticed it was all over her body. Once again, my sister came to the rescue and said she believed it was an allergic reaction and suggested I call the InstaCare. She was right. She's now been put on a different medication.

When I picked up the prescription from the pharmacy, the pharmacist said that a small percentage of people who have allergic reactions to Amoxicillin will also have a reaction to this medication and I should watch for any worsening symptoms. Hopefully all will be well and she'll
get past all of this quickly.

No comments: