Sunday, April 25, 2010

Building the Jungle Gym

A couple of weeks ago, we bought a jungle gym that we thought Kyson would really enjoy. When the weather cooperates, he wants to walk to the park every day so he can play on the play set. Because of this love, we decided to put one in our back yard so he can play and we don't have to walk to the park all the time.
The journey began last weekend weather-proofing the wood. The wood came pre-treated, but the reviews that I read recommended that you do it again thoroughly before putting it up. I painted boards for 12 hours last weekend and only got through 2 of the 4 boxes. I wasn't sure how to finish all of that wood during the week to have it ready for Saturday's building date. As luck would have it, the young women didn't have an activity for the week so I thought I'd help them out by filling that void. The Mia Maids and my Laurels came over on Wed- nesday night to help me paint boards. Mother Nature decided to be uncooperative though, and I had to move everything into the garage, and 1/2 of one box got drenched in the rain and we couldn't paint it that night. They finished in 20 minutes, what took me 5 hours to do. I was SOOO grateful.

As the building day was approaching, Kris injured his shoulder at work and was unable to help us. Then my brother-in-law had to go in for a serious back procedure the day before and was crossed off my list. That left me and my father to put the entire thing together. I was nervous, but optimistic. I asked a few neighbors if they could help by leaving love notes on their Facebook or

leaving messages on their voice mail, but none of them came. Josie Holt, my faithful next door neighbor came and helped me though. She helped me on Friday evening when I was on my own, and then came over bright and early Saturday morning and stayed the entire day.

About half way through the day, a wonderful surprise came - my sister and brother-in-law! Bill was supposed to take it easy, but was feeling well enough to build a jungle gym. Their arrival saved me from having to work another full day. While my dad, Josie, and I worked on the tower, Jen and Bill built the picnic bench, the rock wall, the ladders, and attached all the gadgets. It was wonderful. All the reviews said it took 20 hours to put together and we did it in about 13, including the 1.5 hours Josie and I worked on it the night before. I'm so grateful for everyone's help!

There is one other person who was "behind the curtain" during this process. My mother came over the entire day to watch the kids. Not only did she take care of the kids, but she did all my laundry and straightened up all the bedrooms. I was so grateful as I climbed into my bed Saturday night, knowing that I wouldn't have to spend the whole day getting all that work done. I love my family and my neighbors.

And of course, Kyson loves it. He was on the darn thing before we'd even finished it. But I think the happiest one of all was my dad - because it was done. Hopefully I won't have to ask him for any favors like this for a long time.

1 comment:

Deb-t said...

Oh my goodness this is bringing back a TON of memories. We got this exact play set about 4 years ago. It was a bugger to put together! I'm so glad that it is over with for you now and can enjoy it. It's worth getting!