Thursday, July 23, 2009

Strep Throat Attacks

Monday, Kris called me at work and said, "I don't think Kyson feels very well." I had thought the same thing earlier. When I returned home from work that night, he felt burning hot, had a rash all over his back, and refused to eat or drink all day. I put him in the tub to try and cool him down, and when he got out of the tub, I took his temperature. It was 101. I knew that his temperature was probably higher becuase he fought with me to take his temperature, and he had just goten out of the tub, which cooled him down a little. So, I decided to call the on-call doctor to see if I needed to take him to Instacare.

The doctor said that as long as he didn't act like he was in any pain or having trouble breathing, I didn't need to worry about it for the night, but monitor him, and give him some fever reducing medicine. I did. The next morning I took his temperature again and it was still too high. That evening, the rash was still there, the fever and he still wouldn't eat or drink. He was extremely lathargic and wanted to be cuddled all the time. We decided to take him in to the doctor in the morning.

At the doctor's office, they didn't know what was wrong with him until they looked at his throught. Kris said the doctor's response was, "Oh my gosh, can I do a strep test?" Of course Kris said yes, and sure enough he had a really bad case. Since that morning, the behaviors kicked in. He started crying from morning until night, still refused to eat, and wouldn't sleep even though he was exhausted. He threw things, hit the dog, and pushed us. It's been aweful.

It's taken some time, but the rash is going away, his fever is gone, and he's starting to drink milk, but nothing else. His behavior is on and off, but we're hoping he'll get better quickly. We're so glad that we found out what was wrong, and we're thankful no one else got sick from him. It's been a rough week though.

No comments: