Sunday, September 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom

Today is my mother's birthday and all I can say is I'm thankful she is my mother. She's had her ups and downs but she is a devoted woman and she has been a great influence on me and my life.

My mom has been a teacher for many years - I don't know exactly how many, but it's close to 30 years. She teachers at West lake Junior High in a self-contained behavior disorder unit and has changed many students' lives in the process. She is firm with her boundaries and loves people despite their faults or the way they may treat her. I learned that from experience.

When I was in high school, I didn't agree with my mother on multiple occasions. I did many things to show her I didn't agree: I lied to her, I called her horrible names, I tried to run away - and with all my behaviors, she still loved me.

She's been such a help to me since becoming a mother myself. She loves her grandchildren and she doesn't offer her advice freely. She gives it when she may be concerned or when it's asked. While I don't plan on being just like my mom, I have definitely learned from her.

There were two defining moments in my life when my opinion of my mother changed. When I was 19, I was hospitalized for kidney stones. I spent a month in and out of the hospital, I had 3 surgeries, and lost 50 pounds. My mother was there for me every moment. She tried to find things I could eat, she was patient with all of my throwing up, and she slept at the hospital every night. I have never seen her so dedicated to me as I had when I truly needed her and it's something I've never forgotten.

The second defining moment was while I was on my mission. I served in Italy for a year and half and my mother is the only person from home who wrote me weekly. For those who have served a mission (before the email access), you know how important the mail is. It is a life source and can lift you after the hard days of rejection. My mother was there for me once again and it made a huge difference in my mission.

Thank you mom for being a great person. You've helped many people and left an imprint on their lives permanently. As Maya Angelou would say, you're a phenomenal woman, and I'm proud to call you Mom.

Happy Birthday.

5 comments:

Julie said...

That is so sweet! And wow you look just like your mom!!

Randy said...

awww! How sweet! And yes, you do look just like your mom! BTW, the sidebar with "Fellow Bloggers" looks great! Good job...and oh, Happy Birthday to your mom!

Gunn Family said...

That was very cute! Your Mom is great! Great pictures too! Happy Birthday aunt Carolynn!! And yes family game night would be fun!

Deb-t said...

Wow, Kelli...what a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mother! She looks great in all of the pictures. It was fun to read and even informed me about a few things...like your mission to Italy and your having kidney stones at 19. You poor thing! Anyway, I really thought this post was a good one.

Doney Days said...

Those are some great pics fo your mom! I feel like I've known her for forever, but I guess I've known you for forever. When did we first meet anyway? Was it first grade? When did we meet?