Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sickness Strikes

Three hours after returning home from Disney on Ice, Kyson started throwing up.  I wondered if it was food poisoning from the crappy food we ate at Disney on Ice, but when it didn't stop, I knew he was sick.  In the middle of the night on Friday is when it started, and like clockwork, he vomited every 20-30 minutes for two days.  We could never even make it through the 1 hour waiting period to try and get fluids in his body. 

On Saturday, his body started "cleaning out the basement" as well, which left him even more dehydrated.  He looked just awful.  Sunday he started getting really weak and on Monday he could barely walk and was turning gray.  When I got home from work on Monday, I gave Kyson a bath and he was so thin his bones were sticking out.  He looked like a concentration camp survivor and I was getting worried.  I decided to have him jump on the scale and he had lost 8 pounds.  I text my sister and asked, "When should I start getting worried?"  She responded with, "I would start getting worried now."  I decided to look online to detwemine when I should seek medical attention.  I found a website that has symptoms of when to seek medical attention and Kyson had 5 of the 8 symptoms on the list.  I got him out of bed and took him to the InstaCare immediately.

In the waiting room, Kyson was lying down with his head on my lap.  He looked at me and said, "I'm dying, Mom."  It broke my heart to look at my ashen-gray son who felt he was dying.  I was hoping the doctor would give him some IVs to jump start his body and let the healing process begin, but I feared they'd send me away and say, "Just give it more time."  When he saw the doctor, she was very nice.  She looked at him and ordered Ivs without me requesting them.  He was severely dehydrated and needed something fast.  My sister came down and stayed with us while they took care of him.  By the end of the IV, he was talking and his color was so much better.  The nurses said he took the needles like a champ, and even did better than some adults.  I was so proud.
When I arrived home, Kyson was doing much better, but I found Kris holding Kodi in his lap with a throw-up bucket.  While I was at the hospital with Kyson, Kodi started throwing up, and it continued through the night.  Unlike Kyson, she would go a couple of hours without vomiting, but every time we tried a sip of fluids, it would come back and we'd start over.  The next day, Tuesday, both Kris and I went downhill.  We both felt sick and we were trying to take care of the kids at the same time.  It wasn't pleasant.

 Wednesday both Kris and I missed work again, but I started feeling better...for a time.  The house was a mess and I tried to clean a little bit up, but it would wear me out and I'd feel sick again.  Wednesday afternoon I ended up taking Kodi to the doctor becuase she was still throwing up and not getting better.  They gave her a shot of Zofran to try and help her keep fluids down so she could start healing.  It worked.  Once she got the shot, she didn't throw up again.

By the weekend, we all were feeling better, except Kris was still feeling week.  It was a long week and we were so thankful to be feeling better.  I guess that's why there is opposition in all things.  When we feel that bad, it makes us grateful that we feel so good most of the time.

No comments: