Sunday, January 20, 2013

Christmas in January

In 2011, my parents weren't around to celebrate Christmas when it was time for it on the calendar.  The poor souls were in the Bahamas playing in the sun.  We decided the best thing would be to delay Christmas into January and get together when everyone would be in town.  Bill has been working in Boise lately and it's touch-and-go when he'll be in town.  After coordinating everyone's schedule, January 19th was the first weekend we were all available to make Christmas happen, and so for weeks we were anticipating the Christmas celebration with my parents.  For me, the part I look forward to most is just getting together as a family.  That's my favorite thing.

I have to admit, I believe it was kind of nice having it later.  It didn't feel like Christmas though.  In fact, it felt weird exchanging gifts half-way through January, but it was nice for the kids to not receive everything from grandparents, and Santa on the same day.  And my dad kept us entertained with his weird purchases, usually from the DI.

My parents were incredibly generous, as always, and the kids each got one big present - Kodi got a little people Disney princess castle and Kyso got a car racetrack.  We put the track together later becuase it had so many parts, but once it was together, I couldn't get either kid away from it.  They both liked it a lot.  I'm always grateful for an excuse to get together as a family.  The Princess castle was a hit from the moment it was opened, and we put part of it together immediately becuase it was simpler to assemble.  Both presents were loved by both.


No comments: