Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Halloween

Kyson has been talking about Halloween for about 2 months now, and the day finally came.  When we looked for costumes, it was easy for Kodi.  We knew any princess would work, but Aurora is her favorite right now.  When they had an Aurora costume, it was that easy.  Kyson, on the other hand, wanted to be Pablo from Backyardigans.  He's a little penguin and I knew the costume would be impossible.  After screaming, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, he decided he wanted to be Optimus.  I told him that was fine, but he was Optimus last year and he'd need to use that costume.  He didn't like that either.  Finally, I took him to the store and showed him Batman, Darth Vader, and Spiderman in hopes that one of those costumes would suffice.  He chose Spiderman and was happy with his decision ever since.

On Halloween night, normally we go to my sister's for chili before we start the evening festivities.  Because Bill is working in Idaho, she went to him this year.  There is no need for her to stick around when her kids don't trick-or-treat anymore.  I decided to invite my parents over for taco soup, and that way we wouldn't need to take an extra trip to my parents' house.


When I got home from work, I hurried and made the soup, then we got ready to go to Carol and Errol's.  Unfortunately, Kodi had already ripped her costume in two places - Emergency Wardrobe Malfunction!!!  I about freaked out, knowing that we had limited time.  So, we went to Carol and Errol's as planned, and I took Kodi's costume as soon as we arrived.  She got to mingle with the grandparents in a pull-up, and she wasn't happy about it.  I raced over to my parents where my mom performed an emergency fix and we were back in business.  We had a little more time with the Bodily's before we had to race home to eat.  Carol and Errol gave Kodi a bunch of Barbie Disney princesses and she was in 7th heaven.  Errol was a great sport and put on a coat and hat, and made mustaches with combs.  Kyson thought it was great.  I hated to cut the trip short, but we had more to do.

My parents came for soup, we talked for a short time, and then the Holts were ready for trick-or-treating.  This year, I went with the kids and Kris stayed and handed out candy.  I really enjoyed taking them around.  I got to see so many people in the neighborhood and figure out where people lived.  I had to run home twice though.  The first was to get jackets when it started getting chili, and the second was to get some better shoes and tights for Kodi.  Normally, running isn't a big deal, but since my accident, I haven't been able to do much and the little running that I did was not a good idea.  I was feeling its effects pretty badly.  Both Kyson and Kodi were ready to go home a lot sooner than I was, but I didn't fight them about it - it's their loss.

We went back to the house and relaxed a little as the crowds started to dwindle.  After we turned off our porch light, we did the math.  We had about 300 trick-or-treaters this year.  A little higher than average, but we live in a neighborhood of kids - you plan for it.














No comments: