Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mission Reunion (Reunion #1)

From March 1999-September 2000, I had the privilege of serving a mission in the Italy, Padova mission. I have been to one "reunion" since I returned, and it was for my president's homecoming. That was an amazing experience. I still remember for a musical number, all of his missionaries went on stage and sang the mission hymn "The Armies of Heleman" in Italian (of course). It was an incredibly powerful experience, and one that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.

My president, LeGrand Curtis, has been called to be a member of the 1st Quorum of the Seventy and will be serving in Ghana, Africa for a new calling. He and his wife, Jane, or Sorella Curtis as I remember her, decided to have an anniversary reunion to celebrate being home for 10 years before they leave for Africa. I was privileged enough to be able to make it.

Many mission- aries pass through Italy in a three year period so naturally, I didn't know that many people. The ones I did know, however, were so worth seeing. I saw some old companions, others from the same city, and over all, great people who are great examples to me. Seeing different people brought back so many memories of my mission. I'd forgotten how much I'd forgotten. Now I need to take my journals and pictures and make those into a book - hopefully I'll finish it before I die.

No comments: