Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Swimming Adventures

Since the new rec center was built out by us, we still had never made it out to enjoy all that it has to offer.
Because Kris and I had the week off, we decided to try out the much-raved pool. I have to admit, it was awesome. It has such a large area for children without quick drop-offs that scare parents. When we first got there, Kris and Kyson wanted to go on the big water slide so the two of them went off together while I sat at the bottom watching and waiting for them to come out. Suddenly, I saw only one person come out and it was Kyson. It pushed him into deep waters and I saw him struggling. The lifeguard wasn't paying attention and I told her that he couldn't swim. She jumped in and got him, and fortunately, he wasn't afraid of the water after that. I asked Kris why he let Kyson go down by himself when he knew he couldn't swim. Kris told me that they were planning to go together but the lifeguard at the top told him it was only one at a time, and Kyson dove in before they could stop him. My poor son doesn't understand cause and effect.Even with the slight drowning scare, it was a lot of fun.
They had little slides in the kid area that Kyson loved, and eventually Kodi got the guts to try. It took her a long time before she felt comfortable in the water. Ideally, we'd like to keep going so they can get comfortable, but it's too much money and we lack the time. I can't wait until life slows down a little. I really look forward to these times when I have work off where I can really take advantage of the time I have with my family.

No comments: