Saturday, November 29, 2008

Buon Giorno di Ringraziamento

This year for Thanks-giving, I hosted dinner for my first time ever. I made the turkey and everything! I was terrified all month of making this dinner work and having enough room for everyone, but it turned out so wonderfully. From the pictures, the table may look small, but it's actually quite large. The table is 7.5 feet long and 5 feet wide. We comfortably fit 11 people around it.

I had the honor of cooking the turkey for the family and because it was my first time, everyone told me to give it a lot of extra time. I had a 23 lb turkey to cook and the packaging said it would take 5.5-6 hours to cook. Because we were to eat at 12:30, I got up at 5:30 to make the turkey. I used a table top oven to free up my regular oven and the turkey was finished by 10:00. My dad even commented on how good and juicy it was - wow, that made me feel good.

After dinner we sat around, talked, cleaned up some stuff and enjoyed Kyson's entertainment. My dad bonded with Franni as well. Unfortunately, my sister and her family had to leave by 3:00 because Bill's kids had another Thanksgiving to go to. They even missed pie, and we had pumpkin, apple, banana cream, chocolate, and an oreo icecream pie! They truly missed out! Overall, it was a wonderful day and I'm so grateful for the time I have with my family.

3 comments:

Deb-t said...

It sounds like you were the perfect host! I have to admit, I've never cooked a turkey in my entire life and I dread the day that I do. It's the ultimate Thanksgiving fear! When that day comes, I will definitely be giving you a call though.....

Marnie said...

Sounds like your dinner turned out to be perfect!

Gunn Family said...

Wow! Way to go! That's impressive. It was great to see everyone in the picture, we haven't seen you guys forever! Happy holidays!