Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Kodi's Preschool Graduation

Kodi was lucky to have been in two preschools this year.  Her speech school starts the days she turns three, but with normal preschools, there is just a cut-off for birthdays.  Her birthday is one month after the cut-off and Small Wonders Preschool was nice enough to let her and try it out.  It has been such a blessing to Kodi and our family.

When she started school 9 months ago, she had about 5 words in her vocabulary.  She tested below the first percentile in both expressive and receptive language.  While she's still very difficult to understand, and her receptive language is far from on track, she has made so much progress in one school year, I can't believe it.  I know her schools have been a huge contributor to her progress. 

Small Wonders has been so patient with her and so loving despite her speech difficulties.  She hasn't been able to get potty trained, and they were so patient with her about that to, and allowed her to come in a pull-up.  She was in big-girl pants for her graduation program though.  I was so proud.

During her program, she sat very unlady-like, which is so typical Kodi.  She did a good job singing the songs and when it came time to announce her and she receive her certificate, I was curious how she'd do.  At Kyson's first graduation, he ran across the stage, sat in the corner with his teacher, and wouldn't move.  He was terrified.  Kodi did a little better.  When her name was called, I was crouched in the isle to take pictures.  She ran off the stage, gave me a hug, then went back to her teacher to get her certificate and sat down.  So, she didn't follow the protocol, but I thought it was sweet that she came out and gave me a hug.  She was the youngest kid there, so I think she did well.

I hope everything will work out with her at Challenger.  I'd love to see her speech increase with the phonics work that they do there.  I'm so grateful for Miss Nancy, Kodi's teacher, and all of those who worked with her and our son over the past few years.













No comments: