Sunday, August 19, 2012

Goodbye Shakespeare Festival

I recently informed my students at La Europa Academy that I would not be returning next year.  That was a hard thing to say.  I've loved working there for nearly 8 years and I love my students so much.  Because I was leaving, this year's trip has been so special to me.  For 7 years now, I've planned, organized and carried out a week-long trip with my students to attend teh Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City, Utah.  This year's plays included: Titus Andronicus, The Merry Wives of Windsor, Mary Stuart, To Kill a Mockingbird, Scapin, and Les Miserables.  In our week visit we attended all 6 and they were all done exceptionally well.

One of the highlights for my girls, however, was the Green Show.  Every year, there are Green Shows, but this year, the actors came out and would mingle with the audience in character.  The girls absolutely loved it and we took some great pictures.  During one show, one of the actors took my camera and started taking pictures of himself.

We met an actress who took us backstage.  She was one of the leads in To Kill a Mockingbird and Scapin. We met other actors around the festival and took pictures, and overall enjoyed one another's company for my last week with La Europa.  I'm so sad that these trips will end for me, but I'm so grateful that I've been able to participate for 7 years and become aware of the theatrical treasure that we have in our backyard.  I think I'll be using it more for personal use from now on.

 


No comments: