Sunday, July 1, 2012

Rose Crest Fire

Less than two years ago, the South Mountain of Herriman started on fire during target practice with the National Guard.  Because of the high winds, the fire took off and burned the entire mountain.  That fire prepared us for future wildfires more than I had realized.


I was driving home from work when I saw multiple emergency vehicles behind me trying to pass in an area consumed with road construction and no shoulders.  I pulled between two barrels on the road and even had to back out to get out of the tight position I had put myself into.  I didn't think much of it, and assumed there had been a car accident.  As I reached Rose Canyon Road, Kris called me and said, "The mountain is on fire again."  I looked up and saw the flames of the mountain behind our house on fire again.  I raced home and grabbed the camera.  Less than 15 minutes after I got home, Rose Canyon Road was closed for emergency vehicles only and evacuations were under effect.  The Cove, the subdivision just West of us had already been evacuated, as well as High Country.  We were on standby.  A car parked on dry grass started on fire from the heat of the sun and immediately a wild fire started endangering hundreds of homes.  Three homes did burn down.

Because the fire started so close to houses, the reaction of emergency crews was incredibly fast.  It was an 11-alarm fire and had nearly every crew in the valley working on it.  We're so lucky only 3 houses burned because it could have been so much worse.  I was also lucky to make it home before they blocked off our neighborhood.  If it had been Monday-Thursday, I would have been stuck at Herriman High with the rest of the evacuees.  There were many families who didn't have time to pack anything and had to just leave.  Many couldn't get the livestock or horses either.  I can't imagine just having to walk away and pray.

Our neighborhood was used as emergency crew routes and we had police going through constantly.  For hours, the news was updating and covering the fire to keep people in the know of what was going on.  Outside it sounded like a war was going on with the helicopters and sirens round the clock.  Kris and I knew to turn off our AC this time, and we plugged up the laundry room, which has a vent to the outside, to prevent the smoke from coming in.  I went outside for a short time to take some pictures, and when I returned, Kris commented on how badly I smelled.  We were trapped in our houses.  If we left, we couldn't come back.  I usually go grocery shopping on Fridays but couldn't go and we scavenged the house for something to eat, while the temperature rose inside.

So many businesses jumped in to help out and give aid to the evacuees.  Little Caesars donated tons of pizzas, Walmart brought an immense amount of water and snacks for people, Chick-Fil-A came and brought dinner for many evacuees, and Home Depot even came over the weekend and did workshops with the kids to keep them busy and entertained.  One little girl was supposed to have her birthday party, but was evacuated from her home and couldn't.  The people at the shelter found out and threw her a surprise birthday party.  It's in situations like these that the true side of humanity comes out.  I was overwhelmed by the generosity that came through.  We had multiple offers of a place to stay if we had to leave.  I'm also thankful for those firefighters who once again put their lives on the line to help strangers.  My thoughts and prayers have been with them since this happened again.


These are all emergency vehicles heading up the mountain
This is the road to get into our neighborhood.  It was completely blocked off.
















No comments: