Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween

Every year I have high hopes for fun times, thinking that my children will have so much fun with the holidays, which in turn means they'll be fun for me. Well, I have a difficult son. Kyson refused to wear a costume last year, so I didn't take him trick-or-treating. This year I thought for sure he'd want to be a part of it all and he didn't. I didn't buy him a costume because every time I showed him one, he didn't want to wear it. He screams if I try and put it on anyway - you'd think I was beating the child.

I finally went to my sister's house because she has a big box of Halloween costumes that her children had worn in years past. I hoped I could find something he'd wear. Well, I kind of did. There was one costume that was supposed to be a grim reaper kind of thing with a robe and "exposed ribs." I believe the costume was size 12. Obviously, the robe wouldn't fit, but I could get him to wear the ribs for a minute or two at a time. I thought with a bit of training the weeks before Halloween, that maybe by the time the holiday came around I could get him to wear some ribs. It worked. he looked ridiculous and it really wasn't a costume, but it was something. I liked to believe he was an X-ray machine.

Wearing the "costume" was a success for both of his preschools, the ward party, and Halloween night. He went trick-or-treating with his friends the Holts and Kris told me that when he'd go to the door he'd say "Trick-or-treat! I have bones!" After he came home from trick-or-treating, he was so excited about all the little kids in costumes that he'd have to come to the door and babble incoherent interjections. It was fun.

Kodi, on the other hand, is too small to care. We put her in an adorable ladybug costume and she never compleained once. Next year she'll be more aware of what is going on and I truly hope that she isn't a fighter - I need a lover, not a fighter when it comes to Halloween costumes.

No comments: