Saturday, December 27, 2008

21" is not the White Christmas I was Dreaming Of

Christmas was crazy this year. By evening time on Christmas Day we had 21". We measured an untouched part of the sidewalk and the reading was loud and clear. In places with snow drifts from the wind it was much higher. Then of course, the snowplows pile up the snow and to try and get into the driveway was up to the thigh. The top picture is the side of our yard. If you look closely, you can see the top of our picket fence. And our neighbor's roof gives a semi-good idea of what is there. We shoveled so much the next few days that both of us had sore backs and arms. I don't think I've ever lifted so much snow in my life. I'm so glad the storm only lasted until the next day.

Besides digging ourselves in or out of our house, Christmas was a great day. My parents came over early in the morning and watched Kyson open his presents. He got a few things from Santa and a few from us. His favorite things were the books he got and his "Little People" farm. Santa brought him little missionaries to put in his stocking and he keeps having the missionaries drive the tractor to his farm. It's pretty cute.

After Kyson went through his presents at the house, we went to my sister's house and had breakfast, watched a video of when they swam with the dolphins in Mexico, and opened a few presents. It was fantastic. After my sister's house, we moved on to my parents.

My parents nearly brought me to tears with their gift. There was a card that said, "Christmas comes but once a year, so enjoy each other all year long on a monthly date." With the card was gift cards to 12 different restaurants including: Olive Garden, Appleby's, Madeline's Steak House, Chili's, and many other places. What a perfect gift. It doesn't take up space, it doesn't need to be returned, it's practical, and it gives us an opportunity to spend time together all year long without the stress of money. It was absolutely perfect!!! We had a wonderful dinner and just sat around enjoying the time we had together.

Late that evening after Kyson had a nap, we visited Kris' parents and brother. We couldn't stay very late because it was starting to snow again and we didn't want to get caught in a storm. After such a full day, Kyson was exhausted, but I think that he really enjoyed his 2nd Christmas.

No comments: