Sunday, April 19, 2009

It Sucks to be Sick!

After our fantastic adventures in California, we had the opportunity to come down with the flu. Kyson started it, and it has spread like wildfire. The morning we were leaving San Diego, Kyson woke up at 2:30am throwing up. This continued every 10 minutes for 5 hours. He slowly started throwing up every 20 minutes, then every 30 minutes, then 45, and eventually staggered to occasionally. He threw up just as we were about to take off in the plane, and it was apparent he was just plain miserable! As soon as we landed, we took him to the Instacare. They said, "If he keeps throwing up tonight, bring him back." He threw up once during the night, but that is where the vomiting ended. . . at least for Kyson.

After the Instacare, we picked up some food and I ate. I threw it up, but thought it was because I waited too long to eat, being pregnant and all. That night it continued, and throughout the next day. I was throwing up every 30 minutes and lost 7 lbs in 36 hours. I eventually called my doctor to ask if I should do anything. They told me to go to Emergency. We took Kyson to Kris' parents on the way to the hospital and he ended up needing to spend the next few days with them. In Emergency, I had to be given 4 liters of fluid through IVs to get out of severe dehydration. The baby is fine, but it scared us when they couldn't fid a heartbeat for some time. The next day, I continued to throw up, but it was much less, and I began to move past the bug.

At the hospital, Kris started not feeling too well. His sickness affected the basement rather than the attic, though. He missed the entire week of work because he felt so weak.

Our saga began Saturday morning, we missed Easter, we both missed work, we missed Kyson from Sunday to Wednesday, and then the worst news hit - Carol, Kris' mom started throwing up on Wednesday morning. She's still sick and today is her birthday. We feel awful about her getting sick from helping us.

3 comments:

Marnie said...

Yuck! I am glad you are all on the mend. At least you had a fun vacation before getting sick!

Deb-t said...

Ok, seriously....none of that sounds like fun AT ALL!!!!!!! Poor you!

pilgrimchick said...

Whoa. That sounds miserable. I hope things are looking up.